Thursday 7 October 2010

7th October - National Poetry Day 2010


The theme this year is Home. Libraries throughout Cambridgeshire have been putting up Poetry Washing Lines and inviting people to peg up their favourite poem or a poem that they have written. There's still time to go and peg up a poem in your local library or in Castle Court outside room B112.

Here are 3 poems for National Poetry Day.

Best wishes

Helen Taylor
Literature Development Officer
************************************************************************

O western wind

O western wind, when wilt thou blow
That the small rain down can rain?
Christ, that my love were in my arms
And I in my bed again!

Anon 14th century

To A Daughter Leaving Home

When I taught you at eight to ride a bicycle, loping along
beside you as you wobbled away on two round wheels,
my own mouth rounding in surprise when you pulled
ahead down the curved path of the park, I kept waiting
for the thud of your crash as I sprinted to catch up,
while you grew smaller, more breakable with distance,
pumping, pumping for your life, screaming with laughter,
the hair flapping behind you like a handkerchief waving
goodbye.

Linda Pastan

And Yet The Books

And yet the books will be there on the shelves, separate beings,
That appeared once, still wet
As shining chestnuts under a tree in autumn,
And, touched, coddled, began to live
In spite of fires on the horizon, castles blown up,
Tribes on the march, planets in motion.
"We are, " they said, even as their pages
Were being torn out, or a buzzing flame
Licked away their letters. So much more durable
Than we are, whose frail warmth
Cools down with memory, disperses, perishes.
I imagine the earth when I am no more:
Nothing happens, no loss, it's still a strange pageant,
Women's dresses, dewy lilacs, a song in the valley.
Yet the books will be there on the shelves, well born,
Derived from people, but also from radiance, heights.

Czeslaw Milosz

No comments:

Post a Comment